03 October, 2010

Pie is why, part 2

The day after I made the pot pie in part 1, I decided to try my hand at apple pie. I'm almost a bit ashamed that this was my first attempt at one.

I used a really simple recipe that I tweaked a little for the filling, and the same crust recipe and method from part 1 (with an added 4 tablespoons of sugar).

I started with a 350 degree oven and 6 Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored, and sliced fairly thinly.


I then added a 1/2 cup of sugar, 2 teaspoons of cinnamon, 1 teaspoon of nutmeg, 2 tablespoons of flour, and about 1 tablespoon of melted butter to the sliced apples and mixed them all up.


The apple mixture goes onto the bottom layer of pie dough, obviously, and then you can add some more little chunks of butter on top of the apples if you want (it's not really necessary). Then top the whole shebang with the other sheet of pie dough, pinch the edges together, and poke some holes in the top. You may or may not want to do an egg wash on top--you can even mix a bit of cinnamon sugar in with the egg. Place on a baking sheet to catch drips and put in the oven for 45 minutes to an hour. Just watch for a golden brown top.


Ta-da!

No comments:

Post a Comment